Thursday, July 21, 2011

A bit of Windows know how

Recently whist playing wow on my notebook I noticed that game play was freezing every 2-3 seconds, making it almost impossible to play. I looked at heaps of options, updated my video drivers etc but finally found a solution to the problem when viewing process under task manager. There was one process, Wmpntwk.exe that was taking up at least 50% of CPU usage, taking the total CPU usage to an almost constant 100%. I knew this had to be the main issue with my FPS lag spikes in game. Wmpntwk.exe is the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service that shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play. I don’t know exactly why this began hogging CPU, it may have been through the addition of new phone synching software that was also recently added.
Anyway…I found the fix through a web search. Click on ‘start’ or press windows key and type ‘services’ into the search window under the program list. Look for Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service in the list and right click on it and select ‘Properties’. Set the start-up type to ‘Manual’ or ‘Disabled’.
As soon as I had done this, my CPU must have breathed a sigh of relief, everything went back to normal speed including games and even simple processes like opening applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment